Sunday, November 21, 2010

“We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.” Frederick Keonig

This week is Thanksgiving.  It is a time that many families gather together and consume enormous amounts of calories, watch football, and pass out from a food coma in the Lazy Boy.  It's also a time to count your blessings and express your gratitude.

For many people, Thanksgiving is a singular day.  Oh sure, they may say prayers of thanks before Sunday dinners through out the year, but it is usually done quickly and by rote.  It is something said because it is expected, but not because they truly feel thankful. 

We are a generation of wanters. We want more, bigger, better.  We have been brainwashed into thinking that what we have is not enough.  If we accept what we have, it means we relinquish any claim on more.  That someone else who has more is happier.  Keeping up with the Jones's is not the goal anymore, we have to pass them and rub their noses in it.  I have to admit, I sometimes succumb to the desire for more than I have.  I'm not proud of it.

Of the people in my life, it seems that the happiest are those that are thankful each and every day.  They see every thing, every person, every incident in their lives as a gift.  I'm sure they have wants and needs that drive them forward, but they don't overlook the things that life has already brought them.  They appreciate.  They are joyous.  They are thankful. 

I want to be more like them.  Sometimes I see it.  I look at the bounty that is my life and am truly amazed.  I know that I am blessed.  I have a roof over my head and food in my pantry.  I have a wonderful husband and son.  My parents are both still alive and healthy and I have an amazing extended family.  Although not numerous, my friends are loving and loyal. 

I am thankful for these things, but I'm also thankful for the challenges.  I am thankful for the hard homework that makes my son ask for help.  I am thankful for my husbands cold that has him looking at me like an angel when I bring him crushed ice.  I am thankful for the endless list of tasks at work that leave me exhausted and feeling accomplished. 

What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment