Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Like many women my age, I am 28 years old. Mary Schmich

They say you are only as old as you feel.

I will be forty years old in a few days.  That is the physical age of my body, but not my true age.  In my mind, I'm still a twenty something.  (I'm also about fifty pounds lighter and have no grey hair, but that's another post.) 

I've known people in their eighties who are still full of vim and vigor, setting out on new adventures on a daily basis.  Likewise, I've also come across young kids who are so stodgy and set in their ways that they seem to be decades older.  The happiest seem to be the ones living life like they are younger than their actual age.

Now, I'm not living in denial.  I know my body is getting older.  My knees are starting to creak when they bend.  I make involuntary noises getting up out of chairs.  I wake up in the morning and go to bed at night earlier and earlier.  But I'm not dead yet!

So, with this knowledge in my mind, I make a vow.  I vow to keep my eye on the future without forgetting the past.  I will seek out new adventures. I will not let disappointments from the past prevent me from doing things in the present.  I will sing and dance with the carefree abandon of childhood.  I will share my knowledge with others, but I wont expect them to listen.

Happy birthday to me and to all of my fellow Sagittariuses.  To everyone else.... have a very happy un-birthday to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment