Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock and roll. SHIGERU MIYAMOTO

Crops will die, animals will go unfed, dishes will spoil and jewels will not be matched in sets of three or more...  I am taking a break from playing games on Facebook. 

At least that is the plan.

You see, I am what you might call a game addict.  It's not too terribly bad at the moment.  I do still go to work and take care of my daily hygienic needs.  No one in my family has starved yet either, so maybe I'm not that addicted.  But I did do the math.  I calculated the time I spend playing games on Facebook and other sites.  I average about five hours a day on line, a little more on my days off and a little less when I work.  That works out to about 76 days a year online.  Seventy-six whole days, or two and a half months.  Wow (and I don't mean World of Warcraft).

When I was in college, I rented a video game for some fun and relaxation.  Friends would come to visit and we would end up sitting in front of the TV taking turns playing the game rather than talking.  I stayed up a full 24 hours in a continuous marathon of questing and fighting.  My dreams began to take on the mode of the game play.  Action would stop and I would be presented with option buttons to choose from before the dream would resume.  That was when I knew I needed to take a break.  I returned the video game to the rental place only to find that I had kept it out so long that actually purchasing it was cheaper than paying the late fees.

That was then.  This is now.  I have a young son who revels in video games as much as I did.  But perhaps he is a little more involved than me.  He recently stayed up all night watching walk-thrus on YouTube of other people playing games he is interested in.  I try to explain to him the need to turn off the computer and go outside from time to time.  He just looks at me like I don't understand.  Me, not understand?  I've been there, done that, defeated the boss and won the game.  I know how alluring it is to become enveloped in the rich worlds these game creators make. Sometimes it becomes so real, you get emotionally involved with the games and have difficulty meeting real life commitments.

That is why I am taking a break from playing Facebook games.  I can't tell him to take a break if I'm busy watering my crops, clobbering snakes, or redecorating my virtual home.  Give me strength to resist!  I am confident I can do it.  After all, I still have solitaire and minesweeper. 

By the way, the quote used is from the man who probably helped steal so many years of our wasted youth.  Mr. Miyamoto is the game designer behind such Nintendo classics as Mario, Donkey Kong, and Legend of Zelda.  It is reported that he recently submitted his resignation to Nintendo and is perhaps going to join one of their rivals.  I thank him for all the lost hours and wish him well. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a lot harder than it sounds. I find I need my 'fix'.

    ReplyDelete