Saturday, July 2, 2011

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright

I have a friend who makes a habit of finding the "beauty-full" things in her life.  She isn't a tranquil soul sitting isolated on a rock while contemplating the sound of one hand clapping.  She is a single mother, much put upon middle manager, and the type who plays Russian Roulette with her finances.  Her car breaks down, car keys get lost, and someone always puts the empty milk jug back in the fridge.  She has the same frustrations we all do....difference is she doesn't let them pile up on her.

She takes the problems as they come but doesn't allow them to take up residence.  When the car sputters and stops working, she doesn't tear out her hair and burst into tears.  Instead she welcomes the kind stranger who stops along the side of the road to offer assistance.  She welcomes the trip to the miracle working mechanic who puts things right in the machine and allows her to pay out the cost.  She reveals in the love and concern given by her offspring who come to her aide.

Man, is that annoying.

Oh, don't get me wrong.  She is no saint.  She can be self-indulgent, self-critical, and selfish when it comes to chocolate ice cream.  She can cuss like a sailor and likes to tell dirty jokes just to see you blush.  Occasionally important things get put on a back burner until she has to no other choice but to deal with them.  She can throw up so many romantic roadblocks that only the truly valiant can surmount them...and even then there is a fire breathing dragon to contend with because she has been hurt before.

But even with those foibles, she is an optimist.  She looks for something good even as she prepares herself for the bad.  In a sea of overwhelming demands and problems, she finds an island of hope.  I admire that.  She knows that no matter what path she has to walk down, no matter how dark or rocky it may be, there is a destination.  And she finds joy as she walks it, despite the stones in her shoes or the blisters on her feet.

I think I shall try to annoy some people today too.

2 comments:

  1. I've read this over and over and over again. The first time, I cried. In a life that has been making me feel progressively more invisible, I felt SEEN for the first time in ages. As I read it the next time, I recognized not only me. I recognized you. I recognized my hairdresser, my co-worker, my...well, the list goes on. As I read it again and again, you taught me to believe, to keep on keeping on even when I'm so invisible that I barely see me. I remembered to walk through this life seeing all the women I recognized in this post...just in case their invisibility is creeping up on them. I see you, Beth. I appreciate your writing and your sharing so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you .... I appreciate you and your observances on life as well! I was thinking of you when I started it, but it grew into so many others. We are every woman....hear us ROAR!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete