Wednesday, September 5, 2012

“Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.” ― Christopher Hitchens


I've owned (or been owned by) both cats and dogs.  The bond between a pet and it's owner is a special one that can give one's life meaning and purpose; for many, it may even rival the bond they feel for another human being.

Currently I share my home with a Rat Terrier named Libby.  She came into our lives nearly three years ago via an organization called CAP ( Citizens for Animal Protection ) here in Houston.  To be honest, she was not my first choice.  I passed by her with out a second glance.  It was my son and husband who decided to take her for a walk, to take her for a test drive so to speak. I stood by the cage door while they went to get an attendant to take her out.

My heart melted.  Shaking uncontrollably in her little bin, longing to get out and away from the overwhelming multitude of canine voices was a skinny, young dog with ears back and eyes bulging.  We decided to make the commitment and adopt her, to make her a part of our family.

We brought her into our home, gave her "food and water and shelter and affection" and her love and gratitude was overwhelming.  It is quite an ego boost to have someone look at you with such adoration.  When I'm sad or upset, she is there to comfort me and lick away any tears that might fall.  She greats me at the door when I come home with back flips and her frantically wagging stump of a tail.  I truly fill like I am a god in her eyes... but that comes with a heavy price.

A pet is truly a commitment for life.   They are dependent upon you for those essentials: food, water, shelter and affection. That is the very minimum that you are responsible for, but beyond that there is health care, recreation and exercise needs, and consideration for their care should you decide to vacation.  In many ways they are the eternal two year old, dependent on their care givers for so much.  One shouldn't get a pet on a whim.  Bunnies are cute, but the grow into large rabbits that can live for 8-12 years.  Cats can lounge about for 12 to 18 years.  Not as cuddly, snakes can hang around 10-15 years.  That bird in a cage (gilded or not) can live anywhere from 10 to 80 plus years dependent on the species. And don't get me started on turtles & tortoises, they can conceivably outlive you.

Sharing you life with a pet is infinitely rewarding, but your ego shouldn't be the first consideration in making this decision.  You are accepting the care for another living being, one with physical and emotional needs to match your own.  Are you up for the challenge?

 Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Please consider adoption.....



No comments:

Post a Comment