Thursday, September 2, 2010

If you are seeking creative ideas, go out walking. Angels whisper to a man when he goes for a walk. Raymond Inmon

I came across this quote the other day while seeking some creative inspiration myself.  It got me to thinking about those special places that stir me.  Certain places seem to resonate with energy.  Those places usually do not have a computer. 

 I don't walk often, as my slightly less than perfect frame can attest, but when I do I feel a stirring inside me.  My senses are forced to awaken in a way that sitting in front of a computer doesn't demand.  It has to do with the wind and the sun and the rustle of leaves.  All those free floating ions that my encapsulated workspace shields from me  rush in and check me out.  Little wisps of thoughts discarded by others flutter into my mind and say "what if...".  Something akin to giddiness starts to bubble in my heart.  I feel lifted up and anything seems to be possible.  Call it angels, call it chi, call it inspiration.  Call it what you want.  It is a special feeling similar to falling in love.

Most of the time this feeling is found in natural surroundings, but every once in a while it is found in man made structures.  I've walked into churches that hit me with waves of emotion...and I've been in some that were nothing more than brick and mortar buildings with no soul.  I've been in buildings that vibrated and those that seemed to suck the energy out of me.  I think the difference is in the people that inhabit these structures.  Their own stores of energy and love and inspiration are overflowing or depleted and they then begin to give or take from their souroundings.

It's osmosis...the energy is seeking a balance.  Some of us need more balance and the inrush of energy is invigorating.  I'm so thankful that nature has so much to give....but I know I have to seek it.  If we compartmentalize ourselves and seal ourselves away from those energy filled areas, perhaps in a fear that they will drain us, then we also deprive ourselves from refilling our own cup.

I think I'll go for a walk...

No comments:

Post a Comment