Thursday, October 7, 2010

"Life in general sucks, so you have to make your life not so general." Kristi Fojtik

Article first published as Nuggets of Wisdom on Technorati.

A good friend of mine told me that in college. It struck me at the time as being quite profound, especially coming from someone barely twenty years old.

Over the years I had forgotten this little pearl of wisdom. I had written it down in my book of quotes, tucked it on a shelf, and then went on about my life. I sought the middle ground. The happy medium between greatness and failure. I plodded through life with no major sorrow or accomplishments. I lead a general life. And it sucks.

Don't get me wrong, I love what I have. I could not see my life with out my husband and son. They are the steadfast normality I need to keep me sane. But there are nights I stare into myself and ask "What could have been?"

It's not too late. The dance isn't over until the last note dies away into silence. Each of us has the potential to pull away from the herd and show the world what makes us special.

I'm not talking major life altering moves. No selling all your belongings and moving to a cave. No midlife crisis splurges that ruin your credit score. Not even plastic surgery.Stary Night by Van Gogh
You can make your life special little by little. Maybe it's going to a restaurant you've never been to. Maybe it's volunteering for some project you normally wouldn't try. It could be as simple as wearing brighter colors when everyone about you is wearing drab ones. Step by step you move from the general into the spectacular.

The choice is yours. To be one of thousands of lights in the sky....or the shooting star that others wish on.

1 comment: