Monday, October 25, 2010

"You can't teach people to be lazy - either they have it, or they don't." Dagwood Bumstead (Blondie comics)

Article first published as Nuggets of Wisdom - Lazy Sundays on Technorati.

Ah, Sunday.  It is a wonderfully lazy sort of day.  A day for sipping coffee and reading the comics section of the paper.  Most weekend social activities are crammed into Friday evening and all day Saturday, leaving Sunday as a day of rest.  Even if you spend your morning at church there is still the afternoon and plenty of time before you have to return to the grind of the work week.

I don't need a specific day to be lazy.  If given free range, I can make any day as unproductive and non-taxing as your typical Sunday.  If there is a hammock nearby and book handy, forget about me for at least five hours.

There are still certain demands made on my day.  I have a dog whose internal alarm clock tells me when it's time to get up and go for a walk.  She doesn't care if it's the weekend or a holiday.  She stubbornly refuses to learn how to hop on the toilet and flush afterwords.

Then there are mouths to feed.  Luckily, my son is getting of that age where he can fend for himself.  But in order for him to be self sufficient, there needs to be food in the kitchen for him to scavenge, so I guess a trip to the grocery is needed.  As long as I'm there, I'll just pick up something special for dinner.  A little time over the stove won't be too bad.

Oh yeah, there is the pesky laundry to do.  Must have clean clothes for the new work week.  At the very least underwear should be done, just in case anyone gets into an accident.  But it's just as easy to do three loads as one, so it all gets done.

As long as we're cleaning things, those dishes are starting to pile up and the dog could use a bath.  It wouldn't hurt to do a once over of my son's room.  And if I've already got the vacuum out for his room, why not continue on to the other rooms.

Hmmmm, this lazy Sunday isn't turning out exactly as I had planned.

But that's the way it is.  In my youth it was more fun to be lazy.  I could spend the day watching bad movies or climbing trees in the yard.  Now I feel guilty.  I'll still find time to lay on the couch and spend some time with a good book or catch an old movie....but it will have to be after some of those 'adult' things get done.

Ah, Bumstead, you are a true artist and I tip my hat to you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment