Friday, October 1, 2010

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham

I love to read.

This is not news for my friends and family.  I read in the morning waiting for my son to get ready for school.  I read at lunch while blindly shoveling food in my mouth.  I read at night, eyes burning with tiredness but refusing to close them.  I have to admit, I have on occasion even read and drove. 
(Disclaimer:  I do not condone actually reading while the car is in motion.  You should strictly wait until you get to a light.  And if you have to slow down to make sure you get caught by the light, who's to know?)

Books are wonderful things.  The wonders they contain are not diminished by their consumption.  If any thing it grows with in you as you read.  The story in a good book draws you in.  No matter what is going on in my life, be it a doctor's appointment or a fight with my hubby, a book gets me though it.  I find myself repeating dialog and picturing myself as the characters.  The action that takes place within my head is better than any TV show or movie. 

That's why so many people tell you 'The book was better."  It's because they were the director and every actor in their version of the book.  Let's see Brad Pitt do that!

Books take you to places with out the need of a passport or gas.  They teach and entertain, sometimes at the same time.  Books are the repositories of friends you wish you had and enemies you are glad you don't.  They contain a wealth of knowledge and a bundle of lies.  Books are not kindling!

Books should not be feared but cherished and cultivated.   In this modern digital age, old fashioned paper books are going the way of the dinosaur.  I personally feel a loss at this.  True, a nice book on tape might prevent me from rear-ending you on the highway; but cuddling up with a good computer screen in bed does nothing for me.  Call me old fashioned, but I like the comfort of turning a page.

No comments:

Post a Comment